Thursday, August 7, 2008

Broken Wrist But No Broken Career

I started football on Monday, it was every night at 6-8. Monday-Wednesday we did all running drills and no tackling because we didn't have any body-pads, only a helmet. Thursday morning my arms and my legs hurt badly. I was crying a lot, it hurt really bad. I couldn't go up and down the stairs without it hurting me. Then on Thursday we wore pads. On Monday our coaches wanted us focus on driving and pushing each other. Monday the coaches had a little meeting to make football teams. So my group was all alone with no coaches around. We were having fun tackling each other, I tackled the biggest kid on the field. He was pulling on my jersey as he fell. I fixed it. A few seconds later the big kid was pushed from the behind and landed on me. My face mask and my leg side crushed my wrist. It happened so fast; only a few seconds long. I was crying so much when my mom took off my helmet. My dad said that I would be alright, that I probably sprained it. I disagreed. I said that I had probably broken a bone in my arm. I could feel my heart beat all the way to the car. My mom said I would have to get an X-ray. After I got the X-Ray we went into a different room without seeing the results. My doctor wrapped a splint around my arm and gave me a sling. The doctor asked if we had seen the X-Ray yet. We all replied No at the same time. He showed us that there was a missing piece of bone by my wrist. He said that I would get a cast soon and I couldn't put any pressure on my arm until I got a cast. We left the doctor's office and went to show my aunt and my sisters. They were so excited that I got my first broken bone. That day I learned a lesson: You will always get hurt no matter how hard you try not to......in football.

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Chandler, I'm so sorry you broke your wrist! I'll bet that hurt! You look pretty tough in that picture on your mom's blog!
After the initial hurt of an injury like that, the older boys in the neighborhood will view it as a a "Badge of Honor" for your courage!!

Nanette said...

Your the man--- remember pain is weakness leaving the body-- Jared

Wendy said...

Whenever I x-ray a kid with a broken bone I always say "Looks like you have a lot of fun, Keep it up!" Secretly I admire kids who get hurt while doing something they love. Have a great childhood Chandler and be strong!

Ed and Susan said...

Loved seeing your cast, Blue---Wow! You are one tough Grandson. Keep up the Good work! You're blog is great.

Love Ya

Grandma & Grandpa

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love how interesting your writing is! It's interesting and always different. Congrats on the broken bone!
Love,
Kenzie

Casey Hyer Photography said...

Look at you being all tough, breaking bones, and playing football! Chandler, you are turning into quite the man! And what a great story that you told with such humor.

Ryland said...

I think it is so awsome that you play football!!!!!!!!I really want to play but i have soccer to deal with.